Thursday, August 28, 2014

Second Writing Prompt



8/28/2014

Explain your philosophy of life, your personal set of beliefs. This is not easy, but we all have beliefs and yet rarely do we think of them with cool objectivity. Write is as a short essay, a journal entry, or make a list of complete sentences.

The philosophy that I choose to live my life by is the result of the experiences I've had previously in my lifetime.

Firstly, I was never baptized or raised going to church regularly. As a result of this, I lack faith in any religion. This is not to say that I will never be convinced of a religion's legitimacy in the future. I may currently have the belief that the world, universe, and existence on a whole is far more complex that we could ever fathom, and because of that I don't think that anyone has all of the answers for how to live life. I also don't have a good reason to believe that anyone has ever had direct contact with god or a god, whether or not they do exist. Like I said though, I may change my mind at some point.

My lack of a faith doesn't mean I lack a code, morality, or ethics. There are things I will always do and things I would never do. The things I will always do are: behaving with good manners; such as holding doors, refraining from releasing gas of any sort in public, getting up from the table to blow my nose, and any other generally accepted, but sometimes ignored courtesies. I will also always do what I have a gut feeling is right to do in any given situation, meaning my on conscience is my moral compass. While I choose to follow most laws out of good taste and self preservation, some that I feel are unneeded or wrong, I will break. The things I will never do are pretty simple: murder, rape, child abuse, purposefully rude things in general. Now I would kill for a very good purpose, but a good purpose is hard to find.

I also just generally try to be a good person, because at least if there isn't a god or heaven, I'll still have a pretty good life and won't have any regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment