Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Description prompt


9/30/2014
In a single sentence, declare who you are – your ethnic and regional background, your social class, your religion, or whatever is appropriate to you. For example, “I am a third-generation American of Irish-German heritage, raised Catholic in the middle-class suburbs of the Midwest.” Follow this sentence with an autobiographical paragraph or two, perhaps shifting back to the time you were born, or perhaps showing how your background influences your beliefs and actions today.

I am a fourth generation American middle-class Anglo-Saxon raised in central PA/MD.

My ancestors came from both Germany and Great Britain around the turn of the 20th century. Half of my relatives are upper-middle-class and the others are middle-class. the wealthier ones were living down around Wilmington Delaware, and the less rich were from here in Williamsport. I was raised primarily by my family in Williamsport.

The side of my family that has more money are baptist and the less wealthy are catholic. Neither of these faiths have much to do with my beliefs or how I live my life. I wasn't consistently raised going to a particular church, so that's most likely the reason for my lack of belief in any or a specific faith.

I like soccer teams from both Germany and Britain, while also liking musical groups from both places as well, That is probably the most prominent way that my heritage has effected my daily life. I obviously can't say that I wouldn't possibly like the things I do if I were Italian though, for example. I guess overall I am more leaning toward the events of our lives effecting our preferences than the lives of our ancestors having an influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment