Thursday, November 13, 2014

Disagreeing Character Prompt

11/13/2014
Have a character espouse a viewpoint on life with which you very much disagree, but have the character argue it well, citing examples from her life to buttress her stance. Resist the temptation to make her sound foolish or harsh. Write this in the third or first person, from the narrative.

My name is John Stevenson and I believe that white guilt isn't a factor in race relations in America. I have a nice family, with a son and daughter who go to private school. I have a job in one of the non-vacant buildings in Detroit. I have a lot of friends, some of them being "of color." I treat everyone the same and feel that during my day nobody reacts differently to me because I am a successful white male. Some people say that our leaders are overly giving and understanding toward minorities and women who run afoul of the law or taxes. I don't agree because when I'm watching MSNBC there aren't any stories that show undo favoritism toward non-whites. I am not surrounded by peers that are more charitable toward minority organizations. Overall I'm not convinced of the existence of the supposed "white guilt" that critics blame for the reactions to cases like Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. I think the aggressors that ruthlessly slayed these fine upstanding young gentlemen did it out of hatred and ignorance, because their minds' vision was obstructed by prejudice. There are individuals out living their lives in this country that would wish to live in grand estates maintained and supported by bands of slaves. I am not among these barbarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment