Thursday, November 6, 2014

Funeral Prompt

11/6/2014
Recall a funeral you've attended and write about it. Did anything unusual happen at the event? How did you feel? Describe the situation -- who, what, when, where, why and how.

The unusual thing for me is that I have never been to a funeral of anyone I've ever known, but I've still been forced to attend three of them. The weirdest one of the group was because it was actually an open casket viewing. Having to approach the remains of a man who I don't know in front family that are all weeping. Should I fake sadness, should I not approach and make a scene that way? I don't know, but I hate the whole thing.

The other ones I attended were mandated by my catholic school because I was the president of the senior class. Thankfully they weren't viewing the bodies. Oddly I was more emotional at these events, especially while family members were crying while talking about how amazing and important this now deceased person was to them.

When I die, I want my organs donated, then have my body cremated. The ceremony should be devoid of any black attire, one because I rarely wear black, and two, because I think the event should be about the joy I brought everyone, not the somber fact that you'll all be missing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment