Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Recurring Dream Prompt

11/18/2014
Write about a dream you’ve had again and again. When did you first have the dream? When does it recur? What do you think it signifies?

The dream I have that has been a recurring event has happened probably over a hundred times. It takes place in a convenience store. I don't know the name of the store and don't think it is one I've actually been in either. Anyway, the store is not the important thing, it is what happens while I'm there that is the point. In the dream the store is robbed while I'm shopping. I also don't know what I'm looking for. So the thing about the dream is that the setting and the robbing stay the same while the way the robbery plays out and my fate at the end is always slightly different. Some times the guy takes the money and everything is alright. Other times he kills the cashier. Sometimes he kills everyone inside including me. Other times I try to stop him. This plays out in different ways. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes I get to him and I'm shot but live, other times I'm killed, and other times I kill him.

I'm not sure exactly what it means. Maybe it is about me wanting to be a hero. Maybe it is about how we are powerless in controlling our fate without action. It could also be about how we can try to do something to help our situations but don't have control over the outcome overall. It could also be completely random and pointless. Who knows.

The dream doesn't happen every night and it often takes breaks between times it occurs. I'm not sure what causes me to have it or if it is tied to anything about how my day goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment